Diploma in Practical Nursing
This curriculum prepares individuals with the knowledge and skills to provide nursing care to children and adults. Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care.
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination - Practical Nurse Examination (NCLEX-PN), which is required for practice as a Practical Nurse. Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation, long term care, home health facilities, clinics, and physicians' offices.
Program Length: 3 semesters
Career Pathway Options: Diploma in Practical Nursing
Program Sites: Harnett Health Sciences Center (HHSC)
What Students Learn
- The Practical Nursing Program and Licensed Practical Nurse Refresher Certificate Program prepare graduates to fulfill the roles of provider of care and member of the discipline of nursing. The graduate of the practical nursing program and licensed practical nurse refresher certificate program provides nursing care for clients in structured health care settings who are experiencing common well-defined health problems under the direction of a registered nurse or other person(s) authorized by law to provide such supervision.
- Students successfully completing the Practical Nursing Program and Licensed Practical Nurse Refresher Certificate Program will be able to:
- As a provider of care, participate in using the nursing process as a framework to maintain, promote, and restore optimal functional health patterns for clients across the life span with common alterations in functional health patterns.
- As a member within the discipline of nursing, practice the ethical, legal, and professional behaviors for the Licensed Practical Nurse as a member of the health care team.
Program Info Sheets
- Educational Navigator Mary Brown firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 718-7471
- Education Navigator Alex Little email@example.com (919) 718-7451
- Assistant Director of Student Onboarding and Success Allyson Naylor firstname.lastname@example.org (910) 814-8802
- Education Navigator Douglas Wells email@example.com (919) 718-7318
- Department Chair Barbara Campbell firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 718-7390
Curriculum guides are for students who enroll during the current academic year. Students enrolled during a previous academic year should visit the Program Evaluation link in Self-Service to find the required list of courses for graduation. For assistance, consult your advisor.