Home to more than 700 life science companies North Carolina currently ranks third in the nation for biotechnology. BioWork is a certificate program which can lead to an entry-level position as a process technician. Students will learn the foundational skills needed for a career with a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or chemical manufacturing company.
BioWork is ideal for recent high school graduates, transitioning military, or anyone seeking a new career opportunity.
Learn more about process technician duties, and learning objectives.
Gain an entry-level position in biomanufacturing, pharmaceuticals, medical laboratories, and research and development. Related opportunities also exist in customer service and sales.
Required (Core) Laboratory activities that are fundamental to the learning objectives:
- Unit 1 – Pharmaceutical Quality and cGMP
- Unit 2 – Working Safely
- Unit 3 – Measuring Process Parameters
- Unit 4 – Chemical Process in Biomanufacturing
- Unit 5 – Equipment and Materials
- Unit 6 – Controlling the Process
- Unit 7 – Facilities and Manufacturing Environment
- Unit 8 – Biomanufacturing Production
Topics also include biotechnology industry and job overview, job search, resumes, and interviews.
Interested students must:
- Hold a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency (GED, HiSET, TASC).
- Complete an Required Online Information Session prior to registration. Allow approximately 30 minutes from start to finish.
Scholarship Opportunities may be available.
BioWork & Bioprocess Technology Questions
Dr. Lisa Smelser
Program Director, Biotechnology Programs
Biopharma Industrial Companies
Director, Industry Services