Home to more than 700 life science companies North Carolina currently ranks third in the nation for biotechnology. BioWork is a certificate program which can lead to an entry-level position as a process technician. Students will learn the foundational skills needed for a career with a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or chemical manufacturing company.
BioWork is ideal for recent high school graduates, transitioning military, or anyone seeking a new career opportunity.
Learn more about process technician duties, and learning objectives.
Gain an entry-level position in forensic laboratories, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and research and development. Related opportunities also exist in customer service and sales.
Required (Core) Laboratory activities that are fundamental to the learning objectives:
- Unit 1 – Pharmaceutical Quality and cGMP
- Unit 2 – Working Safely
- Unit 3 – Measuring Process Parameters
- Unit 4 – Chemical Process in Biomanufacturing
- Unit 5 – Equipment and Materials
- Unit 6 – Controlling the Process
- Unit 7 – Facilities and Manufacturing Environment
- Unit 8 – Biomanufacturing Production
Each unit will also offer Supportive Labs that reinforce learning objectives, but may be applicable to most manufacturing sectors. Optional Labs that additionally support learning objectives may also be available. Topics also include biotechnology industry and job overview, job search, resumes, and interviews.
Courses are currently in development; more information forthcoming. View all short course training opportunities throughout our service area.
Interested students must:
- Hold a High School Diploma or GED
- Complete an online information session prior to registration. Allow approximately 30 minutes from start to finish.
Math and reading placement tests may be required. Call for more information.
Scholarship Opportunities may be available.
Inquiries may be directed to:
Workforce & Continuing EducationPamela Fincher
Director, Harnett County Continuing Education
Biopharma Industrial CompaniesCathy Swindell
Director, Industry Services
Bioprocess TechnologyDr. Lisa Smelser
Lead Instructor, Biotechnology Programs