Are you excited about a career in the developing green economy?
Sustainability Technologies at Central Carolina Community College opens the door to a variety of careers in the growing green economy. The new Associate in Applied Science in Sustainability Technologies degree builds on the college's long experience in training workers and entrepreneurs for fields that are both Earth-and consumer-friendly. Certificates and diplomas are also available.
- The Sustainability Technologies degree focuses on sustainability issues, Alternative Energy and Green Building. Core classes cover the major policy and development issues in sustainability metrics and practices. Students learn how to measure sustainability indicators, skills necessary for improving financial, social and environmental impacts.
- The Alternative Energy courses include education on solar energy, wind power, hydroelectric, biofuels, and other sources of renewable energy. Renewable energy modeling, and design and installation skills are part of the program.
- The Green Building track includes courses in energy analysis, architectural drawing, building science and green building certification programs. Students also receive hands on training- students construct a small house annually.
Employment opportunities exist in both government and private industry. Career options are varied, including sustainability consultants, renewable energy technicians, biofuels technicians, and green building supervisors. Plan your future in the growing green economy with training in Sustainability Technologies.
What Students Learn
Students successfully completing the Sustainability Technologies Program will be able to:
- Identify sustainability trends in green building and renewable energy for informed decision-making
- Develop hands-on mechanical and technical skills relevant to the industry
- Explain and practice the theories and guiding principles fundamental to building science
- Analyze and solve community sustainability issues
- Demonstrate skills in modeling and installation of renewable energy applications
- Establish connections with businesses and potential employers