Sleep Disorders Technician
Accredited by CAA HEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs)
This course is designed to prepare individuals for employment as technicians in sleep disorder clinics/units. The course focuses on sleep theory and disorders, basic skills for setting up patients, and performing sleep studies. Some course topics include respiratory, cardiovascular, and nervous system anatomy and physiology; understanding sleep stage scoring; record review; respiratory events; respiratory abnormalities and treatment; EKG/ECG interpretation; electrode application and sleep pharmacology; using CPR in a sleep clinic setting; and understanding sleep disorder computer applications for record reporting and review.
The Sleep Disorders Technician curriculum is accredited by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs). Students receive Certificate of Completion and are eligible candidates for the BRPT exam.
The Board eligible candidate enters the work environment as a "Sleep Technician", under the general oversight of a Sleep Technologist (RPSGT) or Clinical Director.
- Hospital Labs
|HRD Component||4 hrs|
|Clinical Externship Rotation||60 hrs|
Amount due at Registration:
|Registration fee||$ 175.00|
|Mandatory liability insurance||$ 5.00|
|Student accident insurance||$ 1.25|
- Textbooks are required and available before the scheduled Orientation date. Because of price variation from year to year, textbook prices are not listed.
- Students may not attend class until all fees are paid
- FirstPoint Resources will charge a fee to complete the criminal background information. Please obtain information when registering for the class.
- Refer to the instructor for facility's dress code policy.
Student Admission Requirements
- 18 years of age or older
- U.S. issued high school diploma or GED
- Photo ID and social security card
- Criminal Background Check by FirstPoint
- CPR certification per ARC (Professional Rescuer) or AHA (Healthcare Providers)
- TB - Step 1 or 2 - current within one year (depending on site)
- Proof of MMR and chickenpox vaccination
- Hepatitis B series or signed declination
- Copy of the student eligibility information
Student Eligibility Requirements
- NAI or NAII
- EMT or Paramedic
- Respiratory Therapist
- Licensed Nurse
- EEG, ECG, or Phlebotomy Technician
- Medical Assistant
Program Completion Requirement
- Attend at least 85% of the course
- Complete the student admission/eligibility requirements
- Maintain a course average of 80% or above
- Successfully complete Lab Practical Skills
- Successfully complete:
- 60 hours clinical externship
- 4 - 5 sleep studies