Cougar Cocoa (Homemade Hot Cocoa)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups whole milk*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Miniature marshmallows, sweetened whipped cream or cinnamon sticks (optional)
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, and salt.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Whisk in milk and heat to serving temperature (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla.
- If desired, garnish with miniature marshmallows, whipped cream or cinnamon sticks.
If you like it frothy, blend it in the blender, but be careful hot liquids expand in the blender.
*To make it richer, you can substitute up to 1/2 cup of the whole milk for half-and-half or heavy cream