Financial Aid Basics
Financial Aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment offered to assist a student meet college expenses. Financial aid can assist educational costs such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, and basic educational costs. There are four primary sources of financial aid: the federal government, the state, the institution/college, and private/outside agencies. Financial aid awards may include a combination of the various sources of financial aid.
Information You May Need BEFORE Completing the FAFSA:
- Student Federal Tax Return and W2's
- Spouse Federal Tax Return and W2's
- Parent Federal Tax Return and W2's
- Current bank statements, business and investment information, business and farm records, stocks, bonds, and other investment records
- Social Security Number for Student (Spouse or Parent if applicable)
- Driver's License Number
- CCCC Federal School Code: 005449
- PIN (Personal Identification Number) for student (Parent if applicable)
|July 5||November 1||March 15|
How to Apply for Financial Aid:
Students interested in applying for financial aid assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To complete the financial aid application process, follow these steps:
- Obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) online at www.pin.ed.gov This PIN will allow you to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, your parent will also need to apply for a PIN.
- Complete the FAFSA application. You have three options to complete the FAFSA:
- Write down your password
- Make sure you enter the correct school code(s)
- Print a copy of the application summary
- Your application has NOT been submitted until you receive a confirmation number
- Print or write down your confirmation number
- Your award is not final until you hear from the college(s) listed on the FAFSA
Students must complete a FAFSA each academic year.
Saturday February 28, 2015
is FAFSA Day!
College financial aid officers and other volunteers will help students complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms. This program is open to students who plan to attend college in the 2015-2016 academic year. Prior registration is appreciated.
Register for FAFSA Day now at: https://www.cfnc.org/event/fafsa/fafsa_nc_map.jsp.