The application deadline for Dental Hygiene has been extended to February 5, 2018 by 5 p.m.
***Once the consideration committee has reviewed all applicants, students will be notified of any decision via email.
To obtain an application, students must first meet all Minimum Admissions Criteria (MAC) for the academic program. The MAC can be found under the "Admissions Packet" link on the right side of this page.
Once the MAC have been met, students may obtain the online application link from their Admissions Specialist and submit the application along with any required documentation or materials by the deadline. Before meeting with an Admissions Specialist, please be sure to view the Online Information Session and complete the final assessment. The Online Information Session will provide vital information about the admissions process for this program.
Central Carolina Community College's Dental Hygiene Program prepares you to become a valuable member of the healthcare team as a registered dental hygienist. As a student you will learn the skills and values needed to positively impact a patient's life. Upon graduation, you will be well qualified for a career in dental hygiene.
Students successfully completing the Dental Hygiene Program will be able to:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate comprehensive dental hygiene care
- Monitoring of patient's medical history including taking vitals
- Removal of calculus, plaque and stain from teeth
- Application of fluorides and sealants
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Dietary analysis and counseling
- Exposure, processing and interpreting dental radiographs
- Oral cancer screenings
- Designing and implementing community dental health programs
- Become involved in the American Dental Hygienists' Association and other state and local components
A dental hygienist may work in such practice setting as:
- Private dental offices and dental clinics
- Federal, state and local health departments
- Hospitals and nursing homes
- School districts or departments of education
- Educational programs for dental, dental hygiene, and dental assisting
- Private business/industry
- Correctional facilities
- Private and public centers for pediatric, geriatric and other individuals/groups with special needs
- Health Maintenance Organizations