CCCC Admissions

1. How do I apply for school?
The first step to applying is to complete an Application for Admission. This application is located on our web site at www.cccc.edu/admissions/forms/. The application can also be completed at any Central Carolina Community College campus.
2. How much does it cost to apply?
Central Carolina Community College does not charge an application fee.
3. What do I have to do besides complete an application for admission?
We also require:
  • An official copy of your high school transcript sent directly from your high school to our college OR an official transcript of other high school completion (GED scores, etc.)
  • An official transcript from any college(s) you have attended. We must receive a transcript for all college work you have done, whether you graduated or not.
  • Placement test scores within the last five years (SAT, ACT, Asset, Compass, or Accuplacer).
4. What if I don't have any test scores?
Central Carolina Community College offers the Accuplacer Placement Test. You need to contact the Student Development Services Office at 1-800-682-8353 ext. 7300 and make an appointment to take the test. The test is offered multiple times each week in the morning, afternoon, or evening.
5. Do I request my transcripts to be sent or does the college request them for me?
It is the student's responsibility to request and submit all admissions requirements.
6. Do you accept faxed copies of transcripts?
No. Official transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope. A transcript is an "official transcript" when it is received by the college through the mail directly from the high school, college, or other institution.
7. When will I be approved for the program I want?
We must receive your Application for Admission, all official transcripts, and placement test scores for you to be officially accepted. Once we are in receipt of these requirements, you will meet with an Admissions Counselor to discuss your acceptance.
8. When should I apply?
The process of obtaining all of your paperwork can take weeks. The sooner you apply and start the application process, the sooner you will find out when you may enter school.
9. Do I only have to apply once, no matter when I start school or do I have to reapply if I withdraw for a semester or stay out of school for a few years?
Once you apply and we have received all of your paperwork, you will have a permanent file. You will need to update your application if you have not attended school for over one year. You will not have to re-submit new transcripts or placement test scores unless it has been over 5 years since your last date of attendance.
10. Can I just take a class and not pursue a program?
Yes. Students can take a class and not pursue a degree, diploma, or certificate program. Students will enroll as a "Special Credit" student. In order to take a class, special credit students need only to file an application. Special credit students are not eligible to receive financial aid or veterans' benefits and must meet all prerequisite and/or corequisite requirements for each course, if applicable.
Special credit students who later decide to pursue a program will need to complete all of the admission requirements of their declared program.
11. I'm a student at another college/university. Can I take a class at Central Carolina Community College and transfer the course to my institution?
Yes. Students who will be transferring their Central Carolina Community College course to another institution will apply as a "Special Credit" student. Students are urged to check with their institution prior to taking the course to ensure the course is transferable. Students transferring their CCCC course to another institution must meet all of the prerequisite and/or corequisite requirements of every course, if applicable. An official transcript must be provided to document that the prerequisite was met before the CCCC course starts.
12. I have been living in North Carolina for less than 12 months. Am I a North Carolina resident?
To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least 12 months prior to applying to CCCC. Furthermore, a student must establish that his or her presence in North Carolina currently is, and during the 12 month qualifying period was, for purposes of maintaining a bona fide domicile rather than of maintaining a mere temporary residence to enroll in an institution of higher education.
Chapter 116-143.1 of the NC General Statutes covers the requirements for determining resident status for tuition purposes.
13. I am active-duty military and am permanently stationed in North Carolina. Do I or my dependents get afforded in-state tuition?
Military service members and their eligible dependents are considered in-state for tuition purposes. The student must be serving on active military duty (permanently stationed in North Carolina) or be a family member of an active duty service person permanently stationed in North Carolina. To qualify, the student must complete an "Application for the Benefit of the In State Tuition Rate as a Member of the Armed Services or Family Member Relative Thereof." This application can be obtained from the Student Development Services Office.
14. Can I have a printed copy of the college catalog?
We do distribute printed copies of the college catalog. You can view the college catalog on our website at www.cccc.edu/catalog.
15. I'm undecided about a program of study. Who should I talk to?
Our Career Center assists students with career exploration and development as well as educational planning. You may call (919) 718-7396 to make an appointment to see the Career Center Coordinator.
16. If I need assistance with admissions, who do I contact?
You may contact an Admissions Counselor in the Student Development Services Office Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 8:00pm and Fridays from 8:00am to 3:30pm. If you have questions, you may call 1-800-682-8353 ext. 7300. If you have questions about the process you may find additional information at our website at www.cccc.edu/admissions.
17. Do programs have specific admission requirements?
Yes, some programs will have specific admission requirements. Contact your program of study for more information.
18. What does dual/concurrent enrollment mean?
Under certain conditions, North Carolina public, private, and home-schooled high school students who are 16 years of age may enroll tuition-free in courses at Central Carolina Community College while enrolled in high school. Dual/Concurrent Enrollment students will follow the college schedule. Students can obtain "Petition for Dual/Concurrent Enrollment" forms from the guidance counselor at their school. Earned certificates, diplomas, or degrees may be awarded after high school graduation, receipt of final high school transcript, and upon written request.